Engineers Week is a global engineering education initiative that promotes math, science and technological literacy; encourages students to consider engineering careers; and raises awareness of engineers’ positive contributions to society.
The Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) is a sponsoring society of Engineers Week and hopes to attract bright young people to the exciting world of engineering. Many of SPE’s local sections use Energy4me to bring Engineers Week to their communities through activities such as:
- Giving classroom presentations – Jeopardy PowerPoint Presentation
- Organizing student tours of interesting engineering achievements in the community
- Sponsoring a teacher workshop
- Judging local Future City™ competitions
- Offering art or essay contests for students on the importance of engineering
- Purchasing Oil and Natural Gas books and Energy4me Kits to donate to schools
- Holding “Introduce a Girl to Engineering” events
- Hosting “Engineer for a Day” programs in which high school students shadow engineers for one day
- Presenting annual engineering scholarships awards banquets
- Teaming with other organizations in your community for an expanded outreach
Need ideas to get started? Check out the Engineers Week website for tips to jump start your Engineers Week celebration with special programs like “Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day” and National Engineers Week Future City™ Competition.